Blizzard has introduced the 24th hero to Overwatch. Her name is Orisa, and Director Jeff Kaplan calls her a brand new character.
She’s a robot, built by the recently spotlighted kid inventor named Efi Odalele. You can spot her quick origin in the video below. Unfortunately, there’s no gameplay.
What about what Orisa is? She’s a tank, with a two out of three-star difficulty for play. Here’s the rundown of her equipment and abilities. This all comes from her official page on Blizzard.
- Fusion Driver: Orisa’s automatic projectile cannon delivers sustained damage, but slows her movement while she fires it.
- Fortify: Orisa temporarily reduces damage she takes, and cannot be affected by action-impairing effects.
- Halt!: Orisa launches a graviton charge which she can detonate, slowing nearby enemies and pulling them towards the explosion.
- Protective Barrier: Orisa throws out a stationary barrier that can protect her and her allies from enemy fire.
- Supercharger: Orisa deploys a device to increase damage inflicted by allies within her line of sight.
There’s a full video from Director Jeff Kaplan, too. It turns out, Doomfist is a villain, and Orisa is built to combat. Yep, Doomfist and Orisa are linked. That is awesome.
Here’s the clip from Kaplan. He describes her backstory and her abilities.
“We were looking at our tank lineup,” Kaplan explains, “and we have heroes like D.Va and Winston who are much more disruptive tanking. They’re much more defined by their mobility. They like to get in, they like to get out. They don’t stay in one place for too long…”
Kaplan says Blizzard started to describe Reinhardt internally as an “anchor tank.” “What we mean by that,” he says, “is that Reinhardt almost anchors the entire team.” They felt like players needed more options in that role “We wanted another tank that teams could build around and position around.”
Orisa is live on the PC PTR right now!