I bought an Echo Dot as a gift this holiday season, and so did millions of other people. According to Amazon, sales of the Echo family of devices was up more than nine times over last year’s holiday period, with the Echo and Echo Dot doing particularly well. The Fire TV Stick and Fire tablet were also popular, Amazon said.
Amazon doesn’t provide a breakdown of how many units were sold of a particular product, only to say they were “best sellers.” At just $50 for the Echo Dot, it’s easy to see why that one was a hot ticket item this holiday; it gives people access to the Alexa ecosystem without needing to shell out for the much more expensive Echo.
Even despite ramped-up production, Amazon said it struggled to keep up with demand for its Alexa family of devices. I ordered a Fire TV Stick pretty late and Amazon was still able to get it to me a few days before Christmas. It sounds like others weren’t so lucky.
Check out these other fun facts
In addition to revealing the Echo and Echo Dot were popular items on Amazon, the company revealed some cool facts about the holiday shopping period. We’ve highlighted a few below though there are many more at the source link below.
- More than one billion items shipped worldwide with Prime and Fulfillment by amazon this holiday season.
- More people around the world tried Prime this holiday season than any previous year.
- December 19 was the peak worldwide shipping day this holiday season.
- The most streamed Amazon Original Series over the holidays was Goliath.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough 4K TVs to reach the peak of Mount Everest more than 9 times.