Capcom is bringing all six classic Mega Man NES titles to Android and iOS this coming January. Pricing and bundle information are not yet available, but it is likely that they will be using the Mega Man Legacy Collection emulation as the basis for these ports.
- Mega Man® Mobile – The evil Dr. Wily must be stopped in this classic action platformer, the original Mega Man!
- Mega Man® 2 Mobile– Dr. Wily resurfaces to threaten the world again! Only Mega Man can stand in his way.
- Mega Man® 3 Mobile – Fight berserk robots on uncharted planets. Mega Man must set a course for space to resolve this mysterious crisis.
- Mega Man® 4 Mobile – A year has passed since Mega Man’s battle in space. A new enemy appears – Dr. Cossack.
- Mega Man® 5 Mobile – Manic robots cause chaos in the city. How is Proto Man involved? Only Mega Man can find out!
- Mega Man® 6 Mobile – The Global Robot Alliance is formed, but this newfound peace is threatened by a new foe – the enigmatic Mr. X!
Hopefully, it’s better than the last time Mega Man came to smartphones
This isn’t the first time we’ve seen Mega Man make the leap to smartphones. Mega Man 2 was used as an early attempt for Capcom to make a foothold in the market, but it didn’t go so well. The game is still available for just a dollar, but be warned, the jump mechanics have been ruined to the point where it no longer feels like you’re controlling Mega Man.
In an action platformer that revolves entirely around level design and a single jump mechanic, getting that mechanic wrong is the best way to cripple your video game. Hopefully, Capcom’s next attempt will fix this problem.
Something tells me it will. The company has done well with these Legacy Collection ports, and I doubt it will be stopping here.