There are no active ads.

Advertisement

Galaxy S8 said to ditch headphone jack, sport embedded fingerprint reader

by Todd Haselton | December 6, 2016December 6, 2016 6:00 am PDT

Samsung might be making some drastic changes to the Galaxy S8 this year. A report from SamMobile on Tuesday reveals a bit more of what we can expect. Some of the specs might upset more than just a few of our readers.

SamMobile said Samsung plans to move to a USB-C port for the Galaxy S8, which is a move that certainly makes sense giving the benefits of the newer standard. Expect faster transfer speeds, charging and more. That will reportedly come with the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack, however, a move that several phone makers, most notably Apple, have adopted this year. Samsung will almost certainly include a USB-C to 3.5mm headphone dongle in the box for folks who still use headphones — the company seems to always include a dongle, after all — but folks may otherwise need to rely on USB-C or Bluetooth headphones.

SamMobile also suggests that Samsung isn’t ready to move to a 4K display with the Galaxy S8 and will instead include the same QHD (2K) resolution that it used last year. The site notes the new phone will sport a new Super AMOLED panel with power improvements, however. My guess is it’s going to be Samsung’s best display yet, which is exciting in its own right.

Home button embedded in display

Finally, SamMobile said Samsung will remove the home button on the Galaxy S8, noting that the fingerprint reader will be embedded in the screen. That’s going to be an exciting new feature, and, indeed, it’s something that’s also rumored for the iPhone 8. It should allow you to just hold your finger on a small portion of the display to approve your identification and unlock the phone or use the device for mobile payments.

It’s still not quite clear when Samsung plans to unveil the Galaxy S8. It typically does so during Mobile World Congress, which occurs at the end of February and in early March, but some reports have suggested that Samsung will take its time and launch the phone in April instead. That might be the wise choice; Samsung needs to knock the Galaxy S8 out of the park in order to distance itself from the Galaxy Note 7 failures.

SamMobile

Todd Haselton

Todd Haselton has been writing professionally since 2006 during his undergraduate days at Lehigh University. He started out as an intern with...

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement