Samsung has reportedly suspended deliveries of the Galaxy Note 7 to three major carriers in South Korea following claims that some units have “exploded” while charging. The company stopped shipping its latest flagship phone in the country earlier this week, according to Yonhap News and some anonymous “industry officials.”
Samsung wouldn’t confirm or deny the news to Yonhap, but said it was looking into the rumor. We’ve reached out the company directly for confirmation, and we’ll update this post if we get a response.
Five people have reported having their Galaxy Note 7 catch fire while charging since August 24, and photos of the molten aftermath have quickly spread online. PhoneArena notes that the device also suffers from some software issues, which made the site’s unit impossible to use. TechnoBuffalo hasn’t had any major issues with our review unit or a second model purchased directly, though the display has already cracked on one of them.
The Galaxy Note 7 is still a great phone, but it sounds like it might need a little more work. Samsung packed a ton of powerful hardware into an incredible design, and it’s possible the company missed something along the way. Hopefully, the company can figure out what went wrong and get shipments back on track soon.
Update: Samsung confirmed the delay in a statement to Reuters, but wouldn’t offer a specific explanation or say which countries will be affected. “Shipments of the Galaxy Note 7 are being delayed due to additional tests being conducted for product quality,” the company said.