Earlier this year, there was a rumor that claimed writer Tony Gilroy, known for penning the first three Bourne movies, was brought in to help clean up Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. A new report from Hollywood Reporter says he was much more involved than we originally thought.
Citing insider sources, THR says Gilroy was “empowered to take the lead on postproduction” following his involvement earlier this year. Gilroy apparently became the driving force of Rogue One’s extensive reshoots and is now supervising the final edit, with input from director Gareth Edwards. Previously, Gilroy was brought in to help Edwards with 2014’s Godzilla.
One of the biggest issues Gilroy was brought in to fix was the end, the report says. The good news is that the environment seems to be collaborative rather than combative. “There are not two separate editing rooms; they are all in there with their ideas,” a source told THR. “Tony’s a strong force, but they’re all working together.”
While folks might think reshoots spell trouble, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is in good hands, led by Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy. Star Wars: The Force Awakens went through its share of production controversy and it turned out great. From the little footage we’ve seen of Rogue One, it’s shaping up to be a fantastic entry in Disney’s growing Star Wars universe.
We’ll know whether or not Gilroy’s involvement had a positive or negative impact when Rogue One hits theaters on Dec. 16, 2016.