Noooooo, JRPG publishers! How are you going to do this to me?! Atlus has confirmed that Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, the sub-sequel to one of the Nintendo 3DS’ best games, will be released on Sept. 20.
What’s the problem? That doesn’t seem too far away, does it? The wait can’t be that bad. Well, it’s not. The wait is fine, but the problem with the date is that it comes out four days after Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past, and I’m sorry to say, but Dragon Quest is going to win that fight nine out of ten times, the tenth time being if I haven’t been bitten by the Dragon Quest bug.
I’ve got 100 hours to sink into Dragon Quest VII, and Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is just going to have to wait. Atlus will put its game on sale sooner, anyway.
If you’re in the mood for a darker, much more hardcore storyline, though, with a blisteringly steep difficultly curve, maybe Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is the way to go. Here are a few of the character’s you’ll get to meet during your quest.
- Nanashi – Nanashi is the silent player controlled protagonist who’s trying to become a full fledged member of the Hunter Association. He gets murdered early in the game by a demon, but is given a second chance at life by the god Dagda. In return, he must serve as Dagda’s personal “Godslayer” in the world changing events to come…
- Asahi – The ever optimistic Asahi is Nanashi’s childhood friend/Hunter Association teammate. She’s eager to prove herself in the field, but will need to overcome her doubts in order to become a key member of the group.
- Navarre – This familiar Samurai from the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado is making a return! Well sort of, because Navarre is no longer what we would call “alive.” He’s now a green ghost who can use his ethereal powers to the benefit of the team.
- Nozomi – Nozomi is another familiar character who is the newly appointed Fairy Queen working under the protection of the goddess Danu. She’s a level-headed and mature ally who will provide valuable skills and insight for the party.
- Hallelujah– This young gray haired individual is a member of the Ashura-kai gang, who is ordered to join Nanashi and co. in their journey to “watch” them. Hallelujah is accompanied by his foxlike pet demon Chironnupu, who will support him in battle.
- Gaston – Gaston, or as he likes to call himself Gaston the Magnificent, is the brash and arrogant younger brother of Navarre. He is the leader of an elite squad of Samurai called the Crusaders and will undoubtedly be a useful partner during fights. That is, if players can stand his braggadocios nature, but you know what they say, “no one fights like Gaston!”
- Toki – This mysterious Oni mask wearing girl in black is an assassin for the Ring of Gaea faction. She absolutely does not have an ulterior motive for joining the squad. Nope, totally doesn’t have a hidden agenda or anything like that.
- Isabeau – This steadfast Samurai is the best friend and confidant of the heroic Flynn (the protagonist of Shin Megami Tensei IV). Isabeau is an experienced warrior who will act as a great role model for the younger members of the party.
Man, what a busy year for JRPG fans. I don’t know if this is a blessing or a curse. I can only gasp in wonder at how my 13-year-old self was able to keep up with so many of these games.
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse will be released for the Nintendo 3DS on Sept. 20.