Responding to feedback from the community, Blizzard has decided to issue a patch addressing the damage dealt by both McCree and Widowmaker.
Widowmaker has been cited as firing far too quickly and with too much damage. Blizzard responded by making her headshots stronger while lowering the damage dealt by her body shots. They even adjusted how scoping and sniping works.
Here’s how Blizzard addresses her update in the patch. They even include handy notes.
- Widow’s Kiss
- Alternate Fire (Scoped Shot)
- Base damage decreased from 15 to 12
- Note: Scoped shot damage multiplier remains unchanged
- Headshot damage multiplier increased from 2x to 2.5x
- Players must now wait for the unscoping animation to completely finish before scoping
- Ultimate cost increased by 10%
Developer Comments: In the right hands, Widowmaker can often feel unstoppable—even when just landing body shots instead of critical heads shots. The changes to her alternate fire weaken body shot damage while leaving her headshot damage unchanged. Additionally, we felt her Ultimate ability, Infra-Sight, was coming up a little too frequently, especially considering its impact on the game.
McCree was problematic thanks to his fan the hammer right click ability absolutely blazing through tanks. That’s been dealt with through reduced damage, though his reload speed has been increased.
- Alternate Fire
- Recovery time (i.e. the amount of time before McCree starts reloading) decreased from 0.75 seconds to 0.3 seconds
- Bullet damage decreased from 70 to 45
Developer Comments: McCree was performing too well against all targets, making him feel like a must-pick in many situations. By reducing the damage of his alternate fire, McCree is now significantly weaker against tanks like Roadhog and Reinhardt, but still maintains his lethality against smaller targets like Tracer and Genji.
So, Widowmaker will still be great with players who can consistently pull off headshots. She won’t be able to bodyshot kill Tracer or Zenyatta in one hit. Similarly, McCree will still be great at wrecking squishy heroes, but tanks have a better shot at dealing with him thanks to reduced damage.
The patch is up on PC already, consoles will come later.