Natsume has a bit of an issue these days, and that’s that its biggest cash cow finally has some tough competition. Story of Seasons is vying for its spot as the dominant farming simulator game on the Nintendo 3DS platform, and both are at the mercy of the far superior Stardew Valley if it ever leaps into Nintendo’s good graces.
So yes, Harvest Moon needs to work out a way fast to remain relevant, and a return to basics on the Nintendo 3DS sounds like the absolute best idea. Harvest Moon: Skytree Village finds a farm and its neighboring village stuck in a drought, and your hero will have to farm his way back into the good graces of the Harvest Goddess. Oh yeah, he’ll have to awaken seven Skytrees as well to restore her powers.
Well, so much for basics. That’s the plot of an entire JRPG adventure! Sounds fun. The latest game also features:
- Play as a boy or a girl, woo bachelorettes and bachelors, and start a family.
- Completely new story with tons of interesting new characters.
- New crops and flowers to discover.
- New fishing mechanics: expand waterways and catch rarer fish.
- A full town with many residents, each with their own personalities and quirks.
Harvest Moon: Skytree Village will debut at E3 2016 in the coming weeks. Stay tuned for more.