The gaming industry got a healthy dose of rumors and speculation over the weekend in regards to Nintendo. NeoGAF poster Trevelyan9999, who claims this information came from “an internal US marketing budget and scheduling overview for 2016,” has revealed some telling details about Nintendo’s plans for this holiday season.
The biggest rumor of them all points to a release of The Legend of Zelda as a launch title for the NX as well as the final huge release on Nintendo’s Wii U console. Other significant bits include a price drop for the Nintendo 3DS and a whole host of “Codenames” for incoming games. See the summary of reveals below.
Spring to Early Summer
- Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Nintendo Selects Wave 1
- Hyrule Warriors: Legends
- Disney Art Academy
- Bravely Second: End Layer
- Code Name: “Caviar F” (a smaller budget game for all ages)
- Metroid Prime: Federation Force
- Code Name: “Torte City” (a big budget game for all ages)
- Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
- Code Name: “Cadillac” (a smaller budget game for all ages / late summer)
Fall to Holiday
- 3DS Hardware price cut
- Code Name: “N-Stars” (a big budget game for all ages)
- Nintendo Selects Wave 2
- Code Name: “DMW2” (possibly Disney Magical World 2)
- Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
- Pokémon 20th Anniversary Game “Niji”
Giving credence to this report, Trevelyan9999 claims to have run this by a verified, anonymous source within Nintendo, and one of the leaks has already proven to be true. Nintendo revealed Pokémon Sun and Moon during Friday’s Nintendo Direct presentation, confirming the “Pokémon 20th Anniversary Game “Niji” part of the leak. The leak correctly called the game’s codename.