As the massive patch for Splatoon coming this August approaches, the patch notes for version 2.0.0 have gone live on Nintendo’s Japanese site. They’ve since been translated, courtesy of NeoGAF in rough fashion, and they reveal some interesting gameplay changes.
The big stuff that we’ve already known about is there, of course. The level cap is increasing from 20 to 50, we’re getting new modes, new weapons, new gear and more. The small stuff, though? Probably even more interesting.
First up is stage layout.
– Urchin Underpass: Significantly modified the layout in all modes.
– Saltspray Rig: Modified the layout in Tower Control.
– Arowana Mall: Modified the layout in Splat Zones.
– Kelp Dome: Modified the layout in Splat Zones and Tower Control.
– Moray Towers: Modified the layout in Splat Zones and Tower Control.
Then we have actual weapon and gear updates. These should actually affect gameplay in a pretty big way, especially those who love the Inkzooka and Echolocator.
Special Weapon updates
– Inkzooka: Increased the points required to fill the gauge from 180p to 220p.
– Echolocator: Increased the points required to fill the gauge from 180p to 200p.
– Killer Wail: Decreased the points required to fill the gauge from 180p to 160p.
※Numbers reflect rates before Special Charge Up is applied.
– Splash Wall: Corrected the amount of damage bombs would deal to the Splash Wall in rare cases.
– Tenacity: if a match starts with one team already having a fewer number of players, the special gauge now fills up when the match actually begins instead of beforehand.
– Special Charge Up: normalized the amount of special you get based on the amount of turf painted if you have a lot of Special Charge Up equipped, so painting large areas now gives you much more meter than before.
On top of all that, you’ll also hear some new background music. Pretty awesome.
The patch is set to go live on Aug. 5. It is a free update.