Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, revealed this week by Ubisoft, will be a single player game.
“This game will be single-player,” said Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot during an investor call following the announcement. “You don’t have a multiplayer mode on this iteration [of Assassin’s Creed] because we want to spend all our time on making sure the single-player is excellent. And it’s coming along extremely well.”
Guillemot said that multiplayer has a future in the franchise, but that Ubisoft is not ready to announce it yet.
Polygon notes that this is a huge change for Ubisoft, which was as recently as last year focusing on blurring the lines between single and multiplayer, with games like The Crew, in addition to Far Cry 4 and Assassin’s Creed Unity‘s multiplayer modes. Ubisoft also had a tough time last fall with games being delayed and broken, so maybe they’ve learned their lesson.
As excited as I am about the 1870s London setting and everything that comes with that, the decision to go single-player only might be the most heartening thing I’ve heard yet about Syndicate. That won’t keep it from having tons of retailer-specific purchases and some sort of connected smartphone game or app, but it at least gives some indication that the team has a direction and a focus rather than trying to do everything.
Assassin’s Creed Syndicate releases October 23 for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.