Amazon on Tuesday announced a major software update that’s being applied over the air to its Fire TV system. The update includes plenty of new features, so the update is certainly worth applying as soon as you see it hit.
The package includes support for expandable USB storage, which means you can easily add something like an external hard drive for locally stored apps, music, games and more. You’ll also find an awesome new “Wi-Fi with captive portal” option, which means you can easily connect to hotel wireless access points, or other hotspots, that typically require a web authentication.
If you like to watch TV long after the rest of your family has fallen asleep, Amazon has you covered. The new update includes support for adding Bluetooth headphones. Simply pair with the box and you can keep on streaming movies, TV shows and games without waking your loved ones.
Other features include new shortcuts, including the ability to mirror your display or put the Fire TV to sleep simply by holding the home button. You can also now search curate Prime Playlists that are created based on genres, decades, moods, activities and more. Finally, there’s a new hidden PIN entry system so you can lock your Fire TV and prevent others from seeing your secret code.
The shortcuts, hidden PIN, Wi-Fi portals support and Prime Playlist support updates are also coming to the Fire TV Stick, Amazon said.
The free update will start to hit Fire TV and Fire TV Stick devices in the coming weeks.
Fire TV Stick has expanded to UK, Germany and Austria. Amazon Announces New Features for Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick
Amazon Fire TV adds expandable USB storage and private, wireless listening with Bluetooth headphones
Watch on the go—Fire TV and Fire TV Stick now support captive portal so you can connect to Wi-Fi at a hotel or dorm room that requires web authentication
Fire TV Stick now available in the UK and Germany—Amazon Fire TV already the #1 streaming media box on Amazon in the UK and Germany
SEATTLE—March 24, 2015—(NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon today announced new features are coming to the best-selling Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. These features will be delivered as part of a free, over-the-air software update in the coming weeks. Amazon also announced today that Fire TV Stick is now available in the UK and Germany, joining the #1-selling streaming media box, Amazon Fire TV.
“Customer response to Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick has been overwhelming—we’ve been working hard to build more of both as quickly as possible, and we’re excited to be adding new features we think customers will love,” said Peter Larsen, Vice President, Amazon Devices. “In the UK and Germany, Fire TV is already the best-selling streaming media box on Amazon, and we’re thrilled to be bringing our fastest-selling Amazon device ever—Fire TV Stick—to the UK and Germany. We think millions of customers in the UK and Germany are going to love this product.”
New features coming as part of the free, over-the-air software update include:
– Expandable USB storage on Amazon Fire TV—You can now use a connected USB mass storage device to expand your Fire TV storage for downloaded apps and games—this enables you to have more games downloaded for easy access.
– Connect to your hotel or dorm room Wi-Fi with captive portal support out of the box—Take your favorite movies, TV shows, games, and more with you away from home—Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick are the first streaming media devices to enable you to connect to Wi-Fi that requires web authentication—this includes Wi-Fi at most major hotels, as well as some universities.
– Private listening on Fire TV—Enjoy favorite movies and TV shows after the kids go to sleep, without worrying about waking them up. Support for wireless Bluetooth headphones to Fire TV lets you listen to your movie, TV show, or music without bothering others in your household.
– Browse and search Prime Playlists—Prime members can now take advantage of hand-crafted Prime Music playlists directly from Fire TV and Fire TV Stick—there are hundreds of expertly curated Prime Playlists to choose from based on your mood, activity or even artist or decade of choice.
– Hidden PIN entry—With the new PIN entry screen that hides the numbers selected, you can now make sure your kids (or freeloading friends) can’t see your device PIN as you enter it on-screen to confirm a purchase on Fire TV or Fire TV Stick.
– New shortcuts—Quickly put your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick to sleep or enable display mirroring by pressing and holding the Home button on your remote.
Fire TV and Fire TV Stick are available for purchase at www.amazon.com/firetv andwww.amazon.com/firetvstick. Fire TV Stick is available to order starting today in the UK and Germany—it will start shipping on April 15. Learn more at www.amazon.co.uk/firetvstick andwww.amazon.de/firetvstick.