A Reddit user is reporting that his Galaxy S5 caught fire sitting on a desk while he was out running errands. The phone, which came from T-Mobile, started smoking at some point while he was away, though the physical damage to the device doesn’t look too bad.
Still, it sounds like the Samsung smartphone in question no longer works. Even worse, the phone’s owner claims to not have a warranty on the device, and still owes T-Mobile $400 for the phone. Hopefully he can work out some sort of deal with the carrier.
This isn’t the first time we’ve seen a smartphone unexpectedly catch fire, though it might be one of the most mysterious cases so far. Usually the issue can be traced back to some third-party hardware like a knockoff charger or battery, but that doesn’t seem to be the issue here. The Galaxy S5 in question wasn’t even charging when the alleged incident occurred.
We may never know exactly what happened. The whole thing could be a cover up, or someone may have tampered with the device while the owner was out running errands. More likely though, it was just bad luck.