Microsoft’s two month holiday reign over console sales has come to an end with the new year. Sony finds itself back on top in first place with the PlayStation 4 taking back the title of “best selling console” for the month of January.
Sony addresses this in its statement on the NPD results.
“PlayStation 4 was the top selling console in January, it and remains the cumulative leader in the US, according to NPD data. Since launch in November 2013, 18.5 million PS4 units and 81.8 million software units have been sold through to consumers worldwide.”
In the world of software, Dying Light rose to the occasion to steal first place from Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, giving Activision’s first-person shooter series its first taste of second place since launch in November. Techland’s Dying Light also set a record as the best selling original survival-horror IP of all time, beating out last year’s record holder, The Evil Within.
“The sales of January 2015 launch titles were up over 200 percent versus January 2014, with Dying Light being the major new release of the month. If January 2015 releases performed in line with January 2014 releases, overall software sales would have decreased by 4 percent.”
The ten best selling games of January were:
- Dying Light (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Grand Theft Auto 5 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
- Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
- NBA 2K15 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Super Smash Bros. (Wii U, 3DS)
- Far Cry 4 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
- Madden NFL 15 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
- Destiny (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
- FIFA 15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, Wii, Vita, 3DS)