Google just released its ranking for the most downloaded apps and games of 2014. The company breaks down the competition into eight categories covering education, health & fitness, music, photography, social, entertainment, sports and travel, along with a separate ranking for mobile games. Before you scroll down, see if you can guess which apps came out on top this year.
Ready? Here’s how the most downloaded Android apps of the year list breaks down:
- Education: Duolingo
- Health & Fitness: MyFitnessPal
- Music: Pandora
- Photography: Flipagram
- Social: Facebook
- Entertainment: Netflix
- Sports: NFL Mobile
- Travel: TripAdvisor
Google also notes that the fastest growing app category of 2014 was health and fitness. Meanwhile, the list for most popular mobile games of the year includes Candy Crush Saga, Don’t Tap the White Tile, Farm Heroes Saga, Subway Surfers and Clash of Clans.
Google also reveals the most popular media of 2014. Here’s how those rankings break down.
Movies & TV:
- Movie of the year: Frozen
- TV show of the year: The Walking Dead
- Comeback Movie: Toy Story
- Most searched actor on Google Play: Robin Williams
- Album of the Year: Frozen (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
- Song of the Year: Dark Horse by Katy Perry
- Song of the Summer: Fancy by Iggy Azalea
- Fastest Growing Genre: Soundtracks
Books of the year:
- The Fault in Our Stars
- Fifty Shades of Grey
- Twelve Years a Slave
So that’s 2014 on Google Play. We can’t wait to see what comes next year, you can also check out Apple’s “best of iTunes” awards for a more curated take on the last 12 months in apps, games and more.