Last night, Nintendo sent out a press release regarding the sales status of its handheld software lineup. The top billing for the release belonged to Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 3DS, and that game became the 10th 3DS title to sell more than one million copies in the U.S.
Combining physical and digital sales between its launch in September and the 485,000 units solds in October, Super Smash Bros. has sold more than 1.2 million copies in the United States alone. That also makes it the best selling handheld title released in 2014.
Nintendo included a list of the other 3DS titles that have broken one million sold in the U.S. Here’s how that runs.
- Mario Kart 7 – 3.62 million
- Super Mario 3D Land – 3.34 million
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 – 2.33 million
- Pokémon X – 2.11 million
- Pokémon Y – 2.03 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D – 1.41 million
- Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon – 1.36 million
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 1.42 million
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS – 1.20 million
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds – 1.06 million
Obviously, Smash is in good company with that list.
Were you one of the 1.2 million in the United States to nab the game?