NPD time! Sony and the PlayStation 4 have once again managed to outsell competitors Microsoft and the Xbox One one for the fifth straight month, and Watch_Dogs takes the top spot as the best selling game of the month of May.
Overall, the next-generation consoles have boosted the hardware sales to a whopping 92 percent growth over last year. $187 million was raised on gaming platforms alone. The PlayStation 4 closed out on top, but it was actually Nintendo which is claiming second place with the sales of the Nintendo 3DS. Could buyers be holding off on the Xbox One while waiting for the Kinect-free model?
The NPD reports also point to growth for the PS Vita and Wii U over last year, most likely because of the software boost they received from Borderlands 2 and Mario Kart 8 respectively. Sony releasing the cheaper PS Vita Slim model certainly didn’t harm sales figures either.
Speaking of software, sales also saw a climb of 52 percent over the previous year pulling in a grand total of $284 million. Watch_Dogs came out on top with all of its builds combining to make it the best selling game in May despite being released at the tail end of the month on the 27th. Mario Kart 8 also took an impressive second place while being exclusive to a single console, and its Wii U SKU was also the third best selling SKU falling short of only two different versions of Watch_Dogs.
Checkout the full top ten list below.
May 2014 Software top ten (new physical retail only)
- Watch Dogs – Ubisoft (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
- Mario Kart – Nintendo (Wii U)
- MLB 14: The Show (PS3, PS4, Vita)
- Wolfenstein: The New Order – Bethesda (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
- Minecraft – Microsoft/Sony (PS3, Xbox 360)
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (3DS, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
- NBA 2K14 – 2K (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
- Titanfall – EA(PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
- Kirby Triple Deluxe – Nintendo (3DS)
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One)