There are no active ads.

Advertisement

Motorola CEO Teases $50 Smartphone, New Moto Maker Options

by Jacob Kleinman | January 22, 2014January 22, 2014 10:30 am PST

dennis woodside

Motorola definitely got our attention with the Moto G, unveiling a solid Android smartphone that comes unlocked for under $200, but according to CEO Dennis Woodside the company is just getting started. In an interview with Trusted Reviews, he reveals plans to release a $50 handset in the future while also teasing future Moto Maker customization options.

Spending $179 on a new smartphone may sound like an affordable deal here in the U.S., but Woodside notes that for plenty of people around the world that’s still a lot of money. “I mean why can’t these devices be $50?” he said. “There’s no reason that can’t happen so we’re going to push that.”

Motorola’s CEO also took the opportunity to talk up the Moto X and the Moto Maker website. While the customization tool is still limited to superficial details, Woodside hinted that future options could extend to the screen size and other key components like the device’s battery and processor.

“On the more premium side we’re pushing more customization,” he said. “Today you have colors and beginning of materials but you don’t have screen size and you don’t have functionality and we’re going to bring all that in in the next year or so.”

Woodside doesn’t mention Motorola’s Project Ara in his latest interview, but he’s previously hinted that the modular smartphone could be designed by consumers using the Moto Maker tool as well. Whether the company will open up new options for the Moto X or introduce a new customizable phone entirely is unclear, but either way we’re excited to see what Motorola has planned for 2014 and beyond.

Trusted Reviews

Jacob Kleinman

Jacob Kleinman has been working as a journalist online and in print since he arrived at Wesleyan University in 2007. After graduating, he took a...

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement