There are no active ads.

Foxconn Reportedly to Stop Production of iPhone 5c in One Factory

by Todd Haselton | November 18, 2013November 18, 2013 7:30 am PST


Perhaps the iPhone 5c isn’t as popular as Apple had expected, or perhaps there’s already enough stock and such a high demand for its flagship that Apple needs to focus on the iPhone 5s; according to a report on Monday one of Foxconn’s facilities will stop manufacturing the iPhone 5c in an effort to increase production of the iPhone 5s.

Foxconn’s Zhengzou plant is the factory in question and, according to¬†DigiTimes, Foxconn has been asked to manufacture just 30 percent of the iPhone 5c production. Pegatron, another supplier, is still building the other 70 percent of iPhone 5c orders, though it was also reportedly asked to cut production in recent weeks. Apple is wise to cut production if reports that the iPhone 5c made up just 27 percent of all sales are true.

Apple’s iPhone 5c was met with hesitation after launch, once consumers realized that it’s basically the old iPhone 5 with a fresh coat of paint and a plastic body. It also didn’t come with a super affordable price point as rumors had suggested. The device, while still powerful, is far inferior to the iPhone 5s when it comes to hardware components. It lacks the 64-bit A7 processor and M7 co-processor, for example, both of which will play important roles in the future of iOS.


Todd Haselton

Todd Haselton has been writing professionally since 2006 during his undergraduate days at Lehigh University. He started out as an intern with...