FTL: Faster Than Light is far and away one of my favorite games to release in a good long while. This tiny project with unbelievably good music has sucked more than 100 hours of my life away, and that comes because of its random generation and insane difficulty.
$10, as of right now, scores you the PC version of the game. The developers behind the product have just announced that it’s now making its way to the iPad. Even better, the current versions of the game are getting updated, for free, to an “Advanced Version.”
Here, according to the official site, is what that entails:
FTL: AE is a huge content addition that includes new weapons, drones, augments, systems, enemies, and more. Here are some details on just a few of the additions visible in the trailer:
- Mind Control System: Temporarily turn enemies into allies. Force a boarder to repair the damage they just did, or have the enemy pilot sabotage their own helm.
- Hacking System: Lockdown and disrupt enemy systems. Unique effects for each system, ranging from forcing a teleporter remove boarders to making the medbay damage instead of heal.
- New Sector and Events: Our writer Tom Jubert has returned along with special guest writer Chris Avellone (of Planescape fame), who managed to find some time for us between his work on Project Eternity and Wasteland 2. They’ve been helping us add a new sector and scatter new events throughout the rest of the game.
- New Weapons and Effects: Many new weapons that take advantage of new mechanics: overcharging to increase the number of volleys, stun effects to freeze crew, and area effect targeting, to name a few.
- And more systems, drones, augments, enemy ships, enemy layouts, and hostile environments. All of which we’ll be sure to talk about more in the coming weeks!
In addition to new content, we’ve continued to polish FTL and add some of the most requested small features. As a few examples: you’ll be able to save your crew positions and send them back to battle-stations, save and quit during combat, and find more items for purchase in stores.
While the FTL team did not hammer down a solid release date for either the iPad version or update, they did indicate that they plan to launch both simultaneously in 2014. Color me pumped.