Apple will look into reports that a Chinese woman was killed by her iPhone 5. The charging device apparently delivered a deadly electric shock to 23-year-old Ma Ailun when she answered an incoming call. The incident occurred last Thursday to Ailun, a flight attendant for China Southern Airlines, an official Chinese news agency reported.
The news first broke on Sina, a microblogging website where Ailun’s sister shared a message warning other iPhone 5 owners to be extra careful when answering calls. The post quickly went viral and Apple has apparently promised to look into the incident.
“We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family,” Apple told Reuters. “We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter.”
Apple declined to answer whether this is the first time an iPhone has malfunctioned in this manner. The company was previously in hot water in China after its warranty policies in the country were exposed as unfair when compared to the rest of the world.