Hulu held its upfront presentation today in New York City, and the streaming media company is definitely not hurting for original and exclusive content this year.
Unlike Netflix focusing on original content only, Hulu is trying for a mixture of ideas by creating a smattering of originals series and then adding exclusive distribution deals for series from other parts of the world. Along that path, the company announced four new original series today along with four exclusives and four “spotlight” series.
The new originals are an eclectic mix:
- The Awesomes – An animated superhero comedy series from Seth Meyers (“SNL”) and Michael Shoemaker (“Late Night with Jimmy Fallon”).
- Quick Draw – A comedic half-hour western set in 1875 that centers on a Harvard-educated sheriff and his quest to introduce the emerging science of forensics to an unruly Kansas town.
- The Wrong Mans – A story of two men in the wrong place at the wrong time who get involved in a fiant conspiracy.
- Behind the Mask – A reality series about the world of sports mascots at the high school, college, minor league and NBA pro levels.
You can check out all of the exclusive series in the press release. As for the “Spotlight” series, these are shows currently in development that are looking for sponsors that will be spotlighted in the productions.
Hulu also shared some new stats about how the company is faring, and through out 2012 it doubled Hulu Plus subscriptions and closed out the first quarter of 2013 with 4 million Hulu Plus customers. While a far cry from Netflix’s recently announced numbers, it’s not too shabby.
Behind the Mask Gallery
Quick Draw Gallery
April 30, 2013
Gotham Hall, New York City
NEW GROWTH STATS SHARED AT THE HULU UPFRONT
- Subscriptions to Hulu Plus, our ad-supported subscription service, doubled in 2012. In Q1 2013, Hulu Plus surpassed 4 million subscribers. In the same quarter, Hulu set new records for revenue.
- Today, Hulu reaches millions of TV fans on more than 350 million connected TVs, smartphones, game consoles, and set top boxes (not including PCs).
- In Q1 2013, for the first time ever, Hulu viewers streamed more than 1 billion content videos in a single quarter.
- Hulu is #1 in engagement among top ad supported online video sites. Hulu viewers stay with us for 45 minutes per session – without fast-forwarding or skipping ads.
- Hulu is also #1 in market share of all premium online video providers, delivering 1 in 3 of all premium video ads in the US.
- Mobile is growing at an incredible rate, and will account for approximately 15% of Hulu’s consumed videos in 2013-2014. For context, this sort of viewing was nonexistent on our service only two years ago.
- Living room viewing is now 29% of content consumption, and 80% of Hulu Plus subscribers have watched with someone else.
- Revenue: $695 million in 2012
- Subscribers: Hulu Plus, our US subscription service, exceeded more than 4 million paid subscribers in Q1 of this year.
- Content Partners: There are more than 470 content partners on Hulu and Hulu Plus. Hulu Plus is the only online video subscription service that offers current season content from 5 of the 6 largest U.S. broadcast networks, including The CW and Univision. We offer a broad selection of exclusive titles from around the world – Korea, Japan, the UK, Australia – as well as the most robust offering of premium Spanish language content in the US through Hulu Latino.
- Content library: We are continually adding to the content available on Hulu and Hulu Plus. As of March 2013, we have:
- Approximately 57,000 hours of content on Hulu and Hulu Plus (and growing)
- More than 70,000 full TV episodes on Hulu and Hulu Plus
- Nearly 2,500 TV series on Hulu and Hulu Plus
- Advertisers: Hulu continues to lead the online video advertising market, with the largest market share of a rapidly expanding market. We have now served over 1,000 brand advertisers in our company’s history.
- Distribution: Hulu is available on more than 350 million connected TVs, smartphones, game consoles, and set top boxes, in addition to computers.
From comScore March 2013:
- Excluding ad networks, Hulu is ranked #2 in video ads delivered per month
- Excluding ad networks, Hulu is ranked #13 in unique viewers reached on PC alone*
o *This does not include consumption on non-PC devices including mobile, tablets, and connected TVs
- Hulu is ranked #2 in content segment streams
- Hulu is ranked #3 in total content video minutes and #5 in minutes-per-viewer
Celebrities and Talent At The Hulu Upfronts
- Seth Meyers and Michael Shoemaker – “The Awesomes” (Hulu Original Series)
- “The Wrong Mans” – James Corden and Mathew Baynton (Hulu Original Series)
- John Lehr and Nancy Hower – “Quick Draw” (Hulu Original Series)
- Josh Greenbaum – “Behind the Mask” (Hulu Original Series)
- Eva Longoria and Michael Shipley – “Mother Up!”(Hulu Exclusive Series)
- Rey Mysterio – WWE (Hulu Exclusive Series)
- Mario Batali – “The High Road” (Hulu Spotlight Series)
- Carson Daly – Sundays at the Greek (Hulu Spotlight Series)
- Erika Slezak, Kelley Missal — “One Life To Live”
- Denyse Tontz, Robert Wilson – “All My Children
HULU ORIGINAL SERIES
Hulu Original Series are distinctive and unique, high-quality TV shows made by today’s leading independent storytellers for connected and engaged audiences. Hulu offers an unmatched opportunity to produce and distribute original television series across devices and the country.
The Awesomes is an animated show for adults that combines the thrills of comic book storytelling with the irreverent and inspired comedy that is the hallmark of show co-creators Seth Meyers (“SNL”) and Michael Shoemaker (“Late Night with Jimmy Fallon”). It is the story about the greatest superhero team in history, The Awesomes, and what happens after all the most powerful members leave. The team is led by the possibly under-qualified Professor Doctor Awesome, voiced by Meyers, who is determined to bring these funny-if-flawed superheroes to glory. Meyers and Shoemaker called upon their many friends in the comedy world to voice the characters, including some of “Saturday Night Live’s” most celebrated cast and alumni Kenan Thompson, Bill Hader, and Taran Killam. This first animated Hulu Original Series is executive produced by Meyers, Shoemaker, and Broadway Video. Ten (10) episodes.
- CREDITS: A Broadway Video production in association with Hulu. Created by Seth Meyers and Michael Shoemaker, written by Seth Meyers, Michael Shoemaker, Judd Winick and Josh Weinstein, produced by Broadway Video, executive produced by Seth Meyers, Michael Shoemaker
- LAUNCH: August 1, 2013
- SHOW PAGE: http://www.hulu.com/the-
From writer/director Nancy Hower and writer/star John Lehr, Quick Draw is a comedic half-hour western set in 1875 that centers on a Harvard-educated sheriff and his quest to introduce the emerging science of forensics to an unruly Kansas town. Though the citizens of Great Bend, Kansas are generally unimpressed with Sheriff Hoyle’s (Lehr) educational pedigree, they come to appreciate his sharp mind and sharper shooting as he and his reluctant Deputy Eli (Nick Brown) hunt down robbers, murderers, and the dangerous riff-raff that have plagued the town for years. The series is co-created and executive produced by Nancy Hower and John Lehr (“10 Items or Less,” “Jailbait”) and co-executive produced by Keith Raskin (“Key & Peele,” “The League”). Eight (8) episodes.
- CREDITS: Created and written by Nancy Hower and John Lehr, directed by Nancy Hower, executive produced by Nancy Hower, John Lehr, Keith Raskin
- LAUNCH: Summer 2013
- SHOW PAGE: http://www.hulu.com/quick-draw
Behind the Mask
Behind the Mask takes viewers on a behind-the-scenes adventure into the colorful and never-before-seen world of sports mascots. Through the eyes of four dedicated performers at the high school, college, minor league and NBA pro levels, Behind the Mask takes an authentic look at the sports world’s most unsung heroes. Funny, entertaining, and at times poignant, this show tells the moving stories of these real-life Clark Kents, capturing their highs and lows, both inside and outside the suit. Behind the Mask is created by Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Josh Greenbaum and produced by Occupant Entertainment (“Better Living Through Chemistry,” “The Wackness”). Ten (10) episodes.
- CREDITS: An Occupant Entertainment production in association with Hulu. Created and directed by Josh Greenbaum, produced by Felipe Marino, Joe Neurauter, Richard Naing, Kate Sharp
- LAUNCH: Fall 2013
- SHOW PAGE: http://www.hulu.com/behind-
The Wrong Mans
Co-written by and co-starring Tony Award-winner James Corden (“Doctor Who,” “Gulliver’s Travels,” “Gavin & Stacey”) and Mathew Baynton (“Peep Show,” “Spy,” “Gavin & Stacey”), the series centers on Sam (Baynton), and Phil (Corden), two lowly office workers who become caught up in a deadly criminal conspiracy after Sam discovers a ringing phone at the scene of a horrific car crash. Answering this phone turns his world upside down, as he and Phil soon realize it’s up to them to step up and save the day. They are in the wrong place at the wrong time, with the wrong skills. They are The Wrong Mans. Hulu’s second co-production with BBC brokered by BBC Worldwide Americas, the series is directed and produced by Jim Field Smith (“Episodes,” “Butter,” “She’s Out of My League”) and executive produced by Mark Freeland for BBC. Six (6) episodes.
- CREDITS: A BBC and Hulu co-production brokered by BBC Worldwide Americas. Created and written by James Corden and Mathew Baynton. Directed by Jim Field Smith, executive produced by Mark Freeland
- LAUNCH: Fall 2013
- SHOW PAGE: http://www.hulu.com/the-wrong-
HULU EXCLUSIVE SERIES
Hulu Exclusive Series are distinctive and acclaimed shows made exclusively available in their first-run window to U.S. audiences on Hulu and Hulu Plus.
Mother Up! is a 13-episode, half-hour animated comedy series chronicling the misguided attempts at parenthood of Rudi Wilson (Eva Longoria), a disgraced former music exec, as she transitions from the towers of Manhattan to the carpool line of suburbia, where she finds herself alone and hopelessly underequipped to manage her two kids and new life. Bringing her street smarts and urban lifestyle to the suburbs, Rudi confronts the endless challenges of parenthood with a series of misguided improvised solutions, putting her life on the line like never before. Eva Longoria (“Desperate Housewives”) and Mass Animation’s Yair Landau (“Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs”) and Michael Shipley (“Family Guy,” “American Dad”) are executive producers. The series was developed by Rogers Media and co-produced by Breakthrough Entertainment and Bardel Entertainment, in association with Mass Animation. Mother Up! premieres on Hulu and Hulu Plus in Fall 2013. Thirteen (13) episodes.
- CREDITS: A Breakthrough Entertainment and Bardel Entertainment co-production, in association with Mass Animation and Hulu. Created by Marnie Nir and Katie Torpey, developed by Michael Shipley and Executive Produced by Eva Longoria, Michael Shipley, Susan Purcell, Yair Landau.
- LAUNCH: Fall 2013
Prisoners of War
Written and directed by Gideon Raff, this nine-time Israeli Emmy Award-winning series follows the journey of two soldiers as they return to their families after 17 years in an enemy prison. Uri and Nimrode struggle to fit back into society and viewers watch as each makes an effort to restore old relationships and initiate new relationships. As they attempt to start their lives free from captivity, they go through a number of examinations and questionings by a military psychologist. Before long it is discovered that their stories do not match and an undercover investigation ensues. At the same time of this investigation, Uri and Nimrode are on a quest for answers tied to their own captivity. In the second season, the secret continues to be unraveled, but more mystery and unanswered questions are now added to the equation. Starring Yael Abecassis, Mili Avital, Yoram Tolledano, Assi Cohen and Ishai Golan, all episodes will be available exclusively on Hulu and Hulu Plus from Keshet International. Fourteen (14) episodes.
- CREDITS: A Keshet International production. Created by Gideon Raff, produced by Liat Ben Asuly
- LAUNCH: May 28, 2013
- SHOW PAGE: http://www.hulu.com/prisoners-
Hulu Exclusive Series, Moone Boy, is a warm family comedy series about a young boy growing up in a chaotic and creative household in late 1980s Ireland. A semi-autobiographical series written by and starring Chris O’Dowd (“Bridesmaids,” “Girls”) as the imaginary friend of 11-year-old Martin, the youngest child in the large, loud Moone family. Headed by Martin’s songwriter father, who longs to be an artist and his frazzled mother, this is a family with a lot of love where everyone tends to pull in different directions. Martin has a unique view of life, dealing with enterprising school bullies with the help of his imaginary friend, who also narrates his adventures. But while most boys would dream up a superhero sidekick, Martin’s pal is a man in his mid-30s with the most common name in Ireland. Moone Boy is a Sprout Pictures, Baby Cow, Hot Cod Productions and Grand Pictures production made available to Hulu and Hulu Plus from BBC Worldwide Americas. Six (6) episodes.
- CREDITS: A Sprout Pictures, Baby Cow, Hot Cod Productions and Grand Pictures production. Created by Chris O’Dowd, written by Chris O’Dowd and Nick Vincent Murphy, directed by Declan Lowney, produced by Ted Dowd, executive produced by Henry Normal, Gina Carter, Paul Donovan, Chris O’Dowd
- LAUNCH: July 10, 2013
- SHOW PAGE: http://www.hulu.com/moone-boy
East Los High
East Los High is not your typical high school. Dance, sex, romance and mystery are at the heart of this inner city school in East L.A. where two teenage cousins, Jessie, a 16-year-old virgin, and Maya, a troubled runaway with a violent past, fall in love with Jacob, a popular football player. With this forbidden love triangle, Maya, Jessie and Jacob, along with their close friends, must face true-to-life decisions throughout a turbulent year that will mark their lives forever. A Hulu Exclusive Series, “East Los High” features an all Latino cast, director, writers and creators—many hailing from East L.A. More than 15 leading public health organizations such as Advocates for Youth, Voto Latino, California Family Health Council and Legacy LA, among others, advised on the scripts and content to address teen issues related to relationships and sexuality in a meaningful way. “East Los High” is the first English-language drama series made for this under served audience. The series is available exclusively to Hulu and Hulu Plus. Twenty-Four (24) episodes.
- CREDITS: Produced by Population Media Center in association with Prajna Productions, Into Action Films, and The Alchemists.
- LAUNCH: June 3, 2013
- SHOW PAGE: http://www.hulu.com/east-los-
SOAPS on HULU
All My Children and One Life to Live
Hulu is proud to premiere new daily, half hour episodes of two of the longest running, storied, and respected TV franchises: All My Children and One Life To Live. All My Children revolves around the lives of the residents of fictional Pine Valley. For nearly forty years, this town has seen the trials and tribulations of its dynamic families. One Life to Live follows the complicated lives of three main families: the wealthy Lords, the powerful Buchanans and the strong-willed Cramers. The quiet simplicity of small town living is often interrupted by the drama between them yet despite the struggles, strong family bonds keep them united.
- CREDITS: Produced by Prospect Park
- LAUNCH: April 29, 2013
- SHOW PAGE: http://www.hulu.com/all-my-
- SHOWPAGE: http://www.hulu.com/one-life-
HULU SPOTLIGHT SERIES
Brand-contingent original programming unbound by format or genre, created to provide more opportunities for integrated advertisers. All shows are currently in development and are seeking brand support.
The High Road
The High Road is a series of short films starring renowned chef, restaurateur, author, and television personality Mario Batali. Each episode features a celebrity or interesting personality who joins Mario for insightful, candid conversation and a unique adventure to unexpected locales in Mario’s beloved New York City.
- CREDITS: Hosted by Mario Batali, featuring Julianna Marguilies, Jimmy Fallon, Rachael Ray, and more
- AUDIENCE DEMOGRAPHIC: A25-54
- LAUNCH: Aligned with advertiser timing
Sundays at the Greek
Sundays at the Greek is a weekly music series featuring some of the best bands in the world performing live from “America’s Best Small Outdoor Venue” in the heart of beautiful Griffith Park in Los Angeles, California. Hosted by Carson Daly, each episode features a concert experience complete with backstage access: full song live performances, interviews with the bands, behind-the-scenes features, celebrity fans and much more. This is concert television like you’ve never seen it before!
- CREDITS: Hosted by Carson Daly and featuring select Greek Theatre performances
- AUDIENCE DEMOGRAPHIC: A18-54
- LAUNCH: Aligned with advertiser timing
Money Where Your Mouth Is
A new comedic game show for the man’s man that takes all that great man knowledge your wives and girlfriends deem “useless”, and put it to good use for trumping buddies and snagging their most prized possessions. It’s The Man Show meets MTV’s Remote Control with a little Pawn Stars sprinkled on top.
- CREDITS: Host: Jay Mohr, Studio: Believe Entertainment Group
- AUDIENCE DEMOGRAPHIC: M18-34
- LAUNCH: Aligned with advertiser timing
Love 15 (Alloy show)
A magical, heartfelt series about a middle class, Latino girl who has a scholarship to an elite Prep School. As she approaches her Quinceanera, she battles the “Sweet 16” politics of friendships, boyfriends, and the wealthier Mean Girl “Heathers” in her class.
- CREDITS: Features Diego Boneta; Studio: Warner Bros Studio 2.0
o Diego Boneta: Underemployed, Rock of Ages, Mean Girls 2, Pretty Little Liars, 90210. Star of Mexican telenovela Rebelde, Toured with musical group RBD. Solo albums include Diego Indigo
- AUDIENCE DEMOGRAPHIC: W14-24
- LAUNCH: Aligned with advertiser timing