Controlling your Sky+ HD box from your tablet is finally possible, thanks to the latest update to Sky+ for iPad. You can now ditch the Sky remote and use your iPad to pause, rewind, and fast-forward TV; and change channels. The update also brings planner management, a new TV guide, improved navigation, and more.
Sky had announced that remote control functionality was coming this summer, but we weren’t quite expecting it to appear so soon. But we certainly can’t complain.
The complete list of changes in this update includes:
• PLANNER MANGEMENT – See and manage all your recordings in your Planner, view them by genre, add a series link or delete a programme you no longer want all without interrupting viewing on the TV. Once you’ve found a show you want, just press Watch and it will start playing on your TV.
• REMOTE CONTROL – Swipe to rewind, & fast forward, tap to pause / play what you’re watching on your TV. Swipe up or down to change channels, or if you know the channel number just type it in.
• NEW TV GUIDE – Scroll through seven day listings, record a show or series and set reminders. The genre tabs will help you navigate quickly and just tap on a channel icon to tune your TV to that channel.
• IMPROVED NAVIGATION – Now the app is easier and more intuitive to use.
• IMPROVED SEARCH – Search for programmes in the TV listings as well as your Planner.
That’s quite a list of improvements. Planner management and the remote control functionality are likely to be particularly useful to most viewers. The only caveat with these is that your Sky+ HD box and your iPad must be connected to the same network. For those of us who don’t have our set-top boxes hooked up to the router, it might be a good reason to go out and pick up an ethernet cable.
Have you used the Sky+ app to control your Sky+ HD box yet?
App Store link: Sky+ for iPad