Roku announced on its official blog, on Friday, that it would be rolling out software version 4.8 to its Roku 2, Roku LT and Roku HD players. The software update will be automatically pushed to the aforementioned players within the next 48 hours, with the exception of the Roku HD, which will receive its update early next week.
You can manually update by selecting Settings > Software update > Check now. Whether you’re a customer or an avid software developer, version 4.8 brings a little something for everyone. For complete details of what you can expect, check out the complete changelogs below.
Improvements for Users
- Improved video playback for an overall better viewing experience, including significant playback improvements to the MLB.TV and GBTV channels
- General performance optimizations to make Roku 2 and Roku LT players more responsive in certain situations
- Expanded language support, adding Spanish and German to the user interface (To change your language, just go to Settings from the Roku home screen.)
- Under the hood preparations for some great upcoming channels and features – stay tuned for an upgrade to the Roku iPhone and Android apps!
Improvements for Developers
- Support for PlayReady 2.0
- High-performance JSON parsing in BrightScript
- Extended List screen and Roku 2D API features
- Increased theme attribute support on many screen templates