Apple on Tuesday officially unveiled its own dedicated podcast application for iOS devices dubbed “Podcasts.” Earlier this month, developers noticed that the podcast button was missing from iTunes in the iOS 6 beta, which hinted that this app was on the horizon. “Podcasts app is the easiest way to discover, subscribe to and play your favorite podcasts on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch,” Apple says on the Podcasts product page. The application supports video and audio podcasts, includes a top stations option, the ability to stream or download full episodes, sync with iTunes and much more. Here’s the complete list of features:
Apple Podcast iOS App Features
• Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
• Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
• Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
• Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts
• Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
• Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
• Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
• Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
• Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
• Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
• Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices
The free application is available now and requires any iOS device running iOS 5.1 or newer.