Sprint announced on Wednesday that its Sierra Wireless 4G LTE Tri-Fi hotspot will go on sale May 18th for $99 with a new two-year contract. The first of its kind, this new mobile hotspot supports Sprint’s existing 3G and WiMAX technologies, as well as the carrier’s soon to be released 4G LTE data network. Data plans with combined 3G and 4G are priced as followed: $34.99 for 3GB, $49.99 plan with 6GB and $79.99 for 12GB. It’s definitely great to see that Sprint’s 4G LTE drum is catching a beat, but with all of its revealed LTE devices officially out in the open, we can only wonder what Hesse and the gang have in store for the remainder of the year.
Compact Connections to Sprint 4G LTE, 4G WiMAX and 3G
Sierra Wireless™ 4G LTE Tri-Fi Hotspot is the first-ever device to combine 4G connections over both LTE and WiMAX networks. With the additional capability to connect to a 3G network outside of 4G coverage areas, Sierra Wireless Tri-Fi Hotspot provides the best combination of speed and coverage to Sprint customers and allows families, small businesses and traveling co-workers to easily share high-speed connections. With Sierra Wireless Tri-Fi Hotspot, customers can extend their Sprint 3G/4G experience beyond their laptops to up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices such as cameras, music players, personal media players and portable game consoles. In addition, its microSD™ slot allows teams to share files and presentations with network storage and it can be used as a digital media server. Device settings are easy to modify through a straightforward web interface accessed through any web browser. It is simple to set up and connect, with no software required.
· First-ever device to easily support transition between Sprint 3G CDMA plus 4G LTE and WiMAX networks
· Universal Wi-Fi capability: Up to 8 Wi-Fi enabled devices sharing one connection
· Compatible with Universal Wi-Fi devices, supports 802.11 b/g/n; works with all operating systems
· microSD™ slot for shared network storage with up to 8 users; supports up to 32GB
· Share media files on the microSD card with any DLNA capable device
· LCD view communicates device information such as Internet connection status, number of people sharing and battery life
· GPS capable: Built-in Wi-Fi GPS capability allows users to pinpoint and map their location, available to any capable connected device
· Easy to use: compact, portable device requires no connector, activation or installation, enabling easy re-deployment
· Extended Wi-Fi range up to 150 feet outdoors, 115 feet indoors
· Backwards compatible to the EVDO Rev. 0 and 1xRTT Networks
· Integrated RF Antenna Ports
· Dimensions: 3.84 inches (h) x 2.25 inches (w) x 0.95 inch (d) (device + battery)
· Weight: 4.87 oz.
· Frequency: 1xEVDO Rev. A, Rev. 0 and 1X (850/1900 MHz); WiMAX 2500MHz and GPS 1575MHz, LTE band class 25= 1900 blocks A-G (1900 roaming only)
· Main Display Size and Type: 1.7” LCD
· Main Display Total Pixel Count: 160 x 128 pixels
· Connector: Wireless or Micro USB for tethering
· Chipset: Beceem BCS350 (WiMax), GCT GCT7241 (LTE) & Qualcomm MDM6085 (EvDO)
· WiFi Chipset: Marvell 88W8786
· Battery mAh: 3600 mAh with access time up to 8 hours and up to 8 weeks standby time *
*Battery performance depends on network configuration, signal strength, operating temperature, select features, data and other application usage patterns. [press_end]