Are you ready for the 5th generation of Wi-Fi? Netgear thinks you are and it will release the first router with the technology next month to prove it.
We’re all familiar with 802.11 Wi-Fi and its flavors of a, b, g and n, but have you heard about 802.11ac yet? The next generation of the technology, also nicknamed 5G Wi-Fi, hasn’t had its standard finalized yet, but that has never stopped manufacturers in the past from getting gear out into the marketplace early. The Netgear R6300 will go on sale next month with a suggest retail price of $199.99 and is packing a lot of extras to help to not be two shell-shocked by the price tag.
For your $200 you’re going to find a router capable of pushing 1300 Mbps in its 5 Ghz mode and 450 Mbps in the 2.4 GHz band. You will also find your usual four wired Ethernet ports along with two USB ports that will allow you to connect devices such as external hard drives and printers.
Of course the big issue here is that there really aren’t any products out there yet with 802.11ac chips as of yet. Apple is rumored to be adding them later this year, but for now you’ll be future proofing your router purchase as opposed to getting the most bang for your buck.
NETGEAR INTRODUCES INDUSTRY’S FIRST 802.11AC WIFI ROUTER
NETGEAR Announces the R6300 Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router based on Broadcom’s 802.11ac router platform delivering Internet Speeds Up To Three Times Faster than 802.11n
SAN JOSE, Calif. — April 26, 2012 — NETGEAR®, Inc. (NASDAQGM: NTGR), a global networking company that delivers innovative products to consumers, businesses and service providers, today announced the availability of the NETGEAR R6300 WiFi Router; the first 802.11ac dual band gigabit WiFi router enabling 5th generation WiFi (5G WiFi) at gigabit speeds. The router is also backwards compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n which provides optimum interoperability with legacy WiFi devices.
The NETGEAR R6300 WiFi Router, powered by Broadcom’s 5G WiFi IEEE 802.11ac chips, is up to three times faster than today’s 802.11n routers. With an elegant new design that fits perfectly in consumers’ living spaces, the router increases the coverage area for HD streaming in the home. The NETGEAR R6300 WiFi Router has speeds of up to 1300 Mbps on 5GHz and 450 Mbps on 2.4GHz enabling consumers to download web content from any device in the home in a fraction of the time it would take on a similar 802.11n device.
The upcoming 802.11ac wireless standard is the world’s fastest WiFi, providing gigabit WiFi speeds allowing for web content to download faster, and large video or music files to synch more quickly. The increased speed of 802.11ac technology is ideal for mobile devices, like smartphones and tablets, by providing three times the performance for a similar amount of battery consumption of devices utilizing the current 802.11n WiFi standard.
- Other advanced features of the NETGEAR R6300 WiFi Router include:
- NETGEAR Genie®: This free app for PCs, Macs, iOS and Android smartphones and tablets enables home users to control, monitor, repair, and manage their home networks easily through a simple, elegant dashboard. NETGEAR customers can download the utility at http://www.netgear.com/genie or from the Google Play or App Store.
- NETGEAR MyMediaTM: The NETGEAR Genie mobile app feature provides the ability to find photos, video or music files anywhere on the network and play them on a DLNA media player.
- AirPrint TM Support: The NETGEAR Genie app enables users to print on any USB or networked printer directly from an iPad or iPhone.
- Guest network access: The NETGEAR Genie app makes setting up a guest network simple. Guests and visitors can go online through the router without the need for secure login information. The guest network also prevents users from seeing and accessing a household’s computers, printers, storage devices and other home network devices.
- ReadySHARE® Printer: Makes it easy to turn any existing USB printer into a fully functional networked printer that is fully compatible with Macs and PCs.
- Media Server-DLNA: The R6300 Router is DLNA ready and can stream to any DLNA compatible device in your house, including the latest Smart TVs, Blu-ray players, media players, game consoles, handheld devices, tablets and more.
- NETGEAR Live Parental Controls: Centralized, flexible, and reliable parental control solution for all the devices on the network, including Macs, Windows PCs, smartphones and tablets, for a safe online environment for children and teenagers. No subscription is required.
- Automatic WiFi Security: Comes with wireless security turned on out-of-the-box, complete with a pre-configured network name and password, protecting home WiFi networks by default.
- Easy Installation: No CD required so users can set it up with smartphones, tablets, ultrabooks, and even MacBook Air.
- 2 USB ports: To simultaneously support USB storage and USB printer on the router.
“802.11ac is the next-generation of WiFi connectivity and is set to revolutionize the way we consume content wirelessly by delivering Internet speeds up to three times faster than consumers are used to experiencing,” said David Henry, vice president of product management, retail products at NETGEAR. “NETGEAR’s leadership in the industry, and collaboration with Broadcom to introduce the first 802.11ac router, will future proof your network by ensuring your home is capable of supporting new faster 802.11ac devices as they begin to roll out this year.”
Pricing and Availability
The NETGEAR R6300 WiFi Router will be available in May starting at $199.99.
Learn more about the NETGEAR R6300 WiFi Router at www.netgear.com/R6300 and more about 802.11ac/5G WiFi, the next generation in WiFi at www.netgear.com/80211ac and www.5GWiFi.org.