Splashtop, a popular remote desktop client company that already provides remote access to Mac and PC via Android and iOS devices, has released a new application that will allow users to experience Microsoft’s brand new Windows 8 operating system on an iPad. There are requirements to get the app running, however. Once you download the Win8 Metro Testbed app from the iOS App Store, you’ll also need to install the Splashtop streamer client on a PC running the Windows 8 Consumer Preview.
Judging from the video below, the experience looks pretty solid and it appears to be the perfect way for developers to get the opportunity to code and debug applications for Microsoft’s highly anticipated OS. Keep in mind that it’s a remote desktop client, however, so you’ll need an Internet connection to experience Windows 8 on the go. Splashtop is available for half price ($25) for a limited time.
Here are the Windows 8 touch gestures supported by Win8 Metro Testbed:
- Swipe from the right to view the Charms menu
- Swipe from the left to switch apps
- Pull down from the top to close an app
- Swipe slowly from the left to run two apps side-by-side (“snapping”)
- Pinch to navigate files, folders, apps and data with Semantic Zoom
Are you going to give the app a go?