Unfortunately, if you’re like most tech users, you probably procrastinate, pushing off that list of maintenance tasks as long as you can. Well, why not take the bull by the horns and start tackling them? You’re probably not going to do this all in one day, but if you hit them a little at a time, you could be sitting pretty with all your sh-… uh, I mean kit in gear before you know it.
- Back up your computer
- Back up/sync your smartphone
- Make sure you have a remote wipe app, service or system set up for your phone (and you know how to use it)
- Lock down that WiFi network
- Vacuum/disinfect your keyboard
- Wipe down that smudgy screen!
- Change your passwords for email, banking, social networks, etc… (and set a reminder in your calendar to do this periodically — like every few months or at least twice a year)
- Gift or recycle old devices
- Collect all your notes from the smartphone/tablet apps, documents, or slips of paper and put them in one place
- Sort your digital photos into folders/albums
- Put your serial keys, tech receipts and other important proof-of-purchases in one place
Got any other “must-do” tasks that belong on this list? Add your tips in the comments below.