Psychonauts 2 is not happening…yet. News startied popping up a few weeks back that Tim Schafer of Double Fine had pitched the sequel to this cult-classic to several publishers that weren’t willing to bite. Markus “Notch” Persson, upon hearing such news, decided to take to Twitter and offer up the funding to make Psychonauts 2 a reality.
What ensued was a storm of hype, a swirl of speculation and, apparently, very little discussion between Notch and Schafer regarding the potential for the project.
In response to the mass amounts of hope and confusion spreading in the wake of this Twitter exchange, Notch took to his personal blog in order to cool the hype. It’s there that he explains that Schafer and he haven’t done much conversing at all regarding the potential of a Psychonauts 2.
Notch actually hit a bulleted list of points for readers to consider:
Here are the facts of what’s happening now, from my perspective:
* Tim and I haven’t spoken much at all other than a couple of emails.
* We mentioned meeting at GDC, I hope that will happen
* I assume Double Fine will be very busy for many months with the kickstarter project
* The budget for doing a Psychonauts 2 is three times higher than my initial impression
* A couple of other parties have mentioned also being interested in investing in it
* I would not be investing in this as a charity. It would be because I think the game would be profitable
Finally, Notch also took time to explain that he wouldn’t be buying into the potential sequel so that he could have a hand in making it. His role in the project, if it ever sees the light of day, is to serve simply as an investor.
Psychonauts 2 is still a very, very long way away from happening; however, there’s a glimmer of a chance that it may move forward. It just requires that the stars align.
We’ll have more as it comes.