To celebrate the first ever Internet Week Europe, a festival dedicated to celebrating Internet organizations and culture, Skype is offering the entire U.K. free Wi-Fi for one week only. The offer will last for the duration of the festival from 00:00 GMT on Monday, November 7, to 23:59 GMT on Friday, November 11.
In order to take advantage of the promotion, all you need is a connection to a Skype Access compatible hotspot, and the latest version of Skype on your Mac or Windows PC. For the first time ever, the service is also available for free on mobile devices. Here’s you to get connected:
On your laptop/computer
- 1. Make sure you’ve got the latest version of Skype on your computer and a Skype account.
- 2. Join a Skype partner WiFi network – a message will ask if you want to get online using Skype WiFi.
- 3. Select Connect and you’re online.
- 4. Once you’ve finished, just select Disconnect.
On your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
- 1. Go to the App Store and download the free Skype WiFi app.
- 2. Open the Skype WiFi app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- 3. Sign in with your Skype account details.
- 4. Tap Connect and you’re online.
- 5. Once you’ve finished, just tap Disconnect.
If you need to find Skype hotspots in your area, just download the free WorkSnug Pro application from the App Store for your iOS device, which will help you locate one from the 1 million available throughout the U.K.
There is, however, a limitation to the free service. Don’t expect to login on Monday and use it freely until it gets shutdown on Friday; users a limited to 60 minutes of use over four 15-minute sessions.
It’s certainly a fantastic promotion from Skype, it’s just a shame that the service has such a big limitation, which doesn’t really give users a great deal of time to enjoy the service.
Will you be taking advantage of free Wi-Fi from Skype next week?
[via The Next Web]