The Awesomenauts are coming.
If you ever watched cartoons during the late 80s and severely early 90s, the Awesomenauts trailer just released and posted above should be tickling the heck out of your nostalgia gland right about now. Sure, it doesn’t do much to illustrate exactly what the game is, but it does serve its purpose of igniting a long-lost love affair amongst older gamers.
Awesomenauts is a downloadable title for the Xbox LIVE Arcade and PlayStation Network set to release later this year at a to be announced price and date. It’s a 2D, action, sidescrolling MOBA. MOBA? Yes, MOBA.
From the FAQ on the developer’s game site:
“MOBA” is an acronym that stands for Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. The game pits you and your allies against an enemy team, and you must battle against this team to destroy their base, while preventing them from destroying yours. Though the game features a lot of player vs. player combat, in the end, it is all about the objective… and having fun, obviously.
The press release for the trailer included a list of features set to be included in Awesomenauts.
- For the first time in galactic history, Awesomenauts will bring the popular MOBA genre to the 2D plane with rich, detailed environments!
- Adrenaline-pumping action with up to 3 players staining your couch, or 6 players online!
- A roster of unique playable mercenaries, each featuring their own set of skills and upgrades!
- Advanced matchmaking options, which allow you to queue up for online matches without forcing you to wait in a matchmaking lobby!
- Unlock over 100 unique items to beef up your abilities and customize your personal playing style for each match!
- Facemelting battles across multiple exotic planets and alien spaceships!
As I said before, the trailer above doesn’t necessarily deliver any information concerning the MOBA style gameplay within Awesomenauts. For that, we turn to the trailer released for E3 in June. Don’t worry, it still blasts 80s cartoon glory.
As more news comes for Awesomenauts, we’ll be sure to cover it here on TechnoBuffalo. For now, dig the two trailers above and head to the game’s official site to read up on it and check out some of the absurd characters.
This could be nuts.