The brief demo began showcasing the Remnants, a group of civilians attempting to destroy a horde dropship. The massive aircraft comes crashing to the earth when a single missile crashes violently into its hull. Chimeran soldiers come pouring out of the vehicle before taking refuge behind school buses.
After the demo skips forward in time, attendees found out that things were not all rosy despite the fact that the Remnants successfully downed the massive ship. The visual prowess of the title is displayed in this sequence as framerates remain smooth with all hell breaking loose. To have a look for yourself, feel free to watch the video above.
Sony ended the presentation reiterating that the game will include both stereoscopic 3D and PlayStation Move support. It also announced that the game will be available either stand-alone or as a bundle, the latter of which will include a pair of Move controllers, a Sharp Shooter shell, a PlayStation Eye camera, and a copy of the game. The bundle will sell for $150 and will be available from Sept. 6th. Stay tuned for more Resistance 3 from E3 2011.
Shortly after Sony’s press conference, Insomniac sent out a press release, which is available for your reading pleasure below.
It’s August 1957, four years after the conclusion of Resistance 2 that left Lieutenant Nathan Hale dead on the battlefield against the invading Chimeran race. Joseph Capelli has been dishonorably discharged from the U.S. Army for killing Hale. With the Chimera completely occupying the planet, Capelli has given up on the seemingly hopeless fight and has retreated into hiding underground with his wife and young son in Haven, Oklahoma. But as the climate of the planet continues to collapse, scientist Dr. Fyodor Malikov finds Capelli with a plan to deliver a devastating blow against the occupying Chimeran force. In order to protect his family, Capelli must leave them behind and embark on a harrowing mission across the country to New York City. Along the way, he and Malikov will encounter the survivors and remnants left in the aftermath of the brutal Chimeran invasion.
- Journey as mankind’s last hope, Joseph Capelli, across a devastated America, making your way from Haven, Oklahoma to New York City.
- Resistance 3 returns with a fully loaded arsenal of innovative weapons, including classics like the Bullseye, Auger, Rossmore, and Marksman, and increase the firepower of each with a new weapon upgrade system. With the return of the fan-favorite weapon wheel, players now have access to the entire sandbox of weaponry, giving them strategic choices for any situation they encounter.
- Engage smarter and more agile Chimeran enemies – due to Insomniac’s new awareness and cinematic traversal technology that gives the Chimera the ability to traverse any environment to reach you: nowhere is safe. Newly evolved Chimeran species – such as the powerful, leaping Longlegs – are larger and more deadly than ever.
- Two-player online and local/split-screen co-op gameplay allows players to team up with a friend during Capelli’s journey to New York.
- A new, more focused, progression-based multiplayer experience builds on Insomniac’s multiplayer pedigree, while allowing players to take part in the global resistance by battling in locations set around the globe.
- Resistance with support the PlayStation Move and the Sharp Shooter and will be playable in full Stereoscopic 3D
- Resistance 3 features a 16-player multiplayer mode where players compete 8-on-8 in a series of Human versus Chimera deathmatch and objectives based competitive matches.
- Multiplayer matches take place in locations around the globe, introducing players to the effects of the global Chimeran evasion
- Fight for survival on multiplayer maps inspired by fan-favorites from both Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2
- Resistance 3’s new, progression-based multiplayer experience allows players to create their own progression paths, earning points to spend on customized loadouts for their own unique playstyle.
- New Human- and Chimera-specific kill-streak Beserks reward players with unique special powers, such as an energy riot shields for Humans, or a temporary mutation into a fearsome Chimeran Ravager for the Chimeras.
- Players can level up new active tactical abilities such as dropping Ammo for allies, deploying bubble shields, or creating a doppelganger to absorb enemy fire.
- New passive support abilities include the ability to enhance hip-firing accuracy, firing rate, clip sizes, as well as players’ starting load out.