The Nintendo 3DS isn’t doing too well in just about every market on the planet Earth. Why? Well, if it were me answering this question on a survey, I’d list the absence of a halfway decent launch catalogue as my number one reason to avoid the Nintendo 3DS.
Alas, the question wasn’t asked of me. Instead, Goo Research conducted a survey of over 1,100 Japanese men and women that have yet to purchase the Nintendo 3DS. They asked this would-be consumers what was keeping them away from the system, and then they ranked the wide array of responses on a 1 to 20 scale. 1 being the most responded, of course, and 20 being the least.
Here’s why this big pool of Japanese consumers is avoiding the Nintendo 3DS.
1. Price is high/waiting for a price drop
2. Satisfied by DS/DSi
3. Worried about eye strain
4. Worried about getting sick from the screen
5. Few launch titles
6. Will buy once a game I want is released
7. Satisfied by cell phone and smartphone games
8. Satisfied by PSP
9. The battery is weak
10. It’s heavy and I don’t feel like carrying it with me
11. Can’t play Game Boy Advance games
12. The color I want isn’t available
13. Can’t play Game Boy games
14. I’ll save my money for NGP, thank you very much
15. Waiting for a version with a larger screen
16. Because you can’t move your DSi Points over
17. The buttons layout looks hard to use
18. No Famicom/NES in the Virtual Console
19. The zoom view for DS games is hard on the eyes
20. Waiting until my friend buys it
How are people really saying that the weight of the device is that frequent of a turn-off? It seems the reasons given less than the weight of the device are way more legitimate. Weird.
Still, the rest of the roster makes complete sense. In fact, if one were to organize a list of negative points within the 3DS‘ sales pitch, this would pretty much be it. Nintendo’s crafted a system that does a lot of things really well. However, there are still several points that the handheld stumbles over.
The obvious train of discussion leads here: why haven’t you purchased a 3DS yet? If you have purchased a 3DS, what made you do it?