TechnoBuffalo Defines is a weekly thing here on the range, where every Tuesday we give you guys a new tech term to define. You give us your best shot at a definition in the comments, and then the TechnoBuffalo staff picks our favorites from the mix, posts them on Thursdays as a poll, and let you all vote for who you think did the best job of explaining the term to everyone else- with the winner walking away with a cool prize
This week’s term was: poking
We looked through the responses and picked these as our favorites. Now it’s your time to decide! You have until 12am Sunday to vote for your favorite.
REMINDER: We were only able to pick people who left a comment on the original post while signed in through Facebook or Twitter, or who left their contact info with their comments. You couldn’t win if we didn’t have a way to contact you! If that applies to you, make sure to remember to leave some form of contact or sign in next time!
Choice 1: Alex Johannes DeBeer
A poke is similar to a poke in real life.
It is just enough to make you mad, but not annoying enough to severely injure that person.
Choice 2: Marcus Trotta
It depends on who’s poking you, if who poked you is:
– your best friend = i’m so needy that even here I need to keep in touch
– your older brother = i’m everywhere
– your girlfriend/boyfriend = let’s have sex
– your friend = let’s have sex
– your lover = let’s have sex
– a stranger (opposite sex) = let’s have sex
– your gay friend = have you consider this?
– your mom/dad = I don’t know what this button’s for, but I think the little hand’s cute. Please explain to me later honey. If by pressing the button I got a virus, I’m sorry. I will send you cute powerpoint slides to make it up to you later.
– your boss = you’re fired, but didn’t know how to tell you
– your uncle = just to remind you that next time we talk I will let you in a fail-proof pyramid scheme that will work this time
– your proctologist = just to remind you of your appointment next Monday
– your friend at work = look at me now and learn how to pretend to be working seriously
Choice 3: Bryan Steve Ninh
There are many definitions of ‘Poking’:
1. (n.) An action to annoy a significant other.
2. (v.)To start a light war online without violence.
3. (n.) An action to take if you are too nervous to talk to a beautiful significant other.
4. (n.) A way to get a teacher annoyed.
5. (n.) A way to get another significant other to wonder.
6. (n.)A way to get a significant other to talk to you.
Choice 4: Nick Du Temple
Poking (V) – Poking is something people do when they are shy, obnoxious, or a total creep. This usually occurs on a familiar website facebook and can be done with or without friend requests depending on your privacy setting (I’d be concerned). See Poke (n) for more
Poke (N) – a blue text-like notification from someone on your facebook newsfeed, usually from people who want to get your attention. A poke is something creepers can use to nofity that you need to get a lawyer in place for that restraining order you’ve been considering, or it’s something you wanna just delete because its that psychotic girl you met at the party last night that just wants in your pants… Wether its good or bad a Poke serves its purpose as “One big attention grabber”
Choice 5: Aditya Chanana
When you poke a friend on facebook, it means that you are trying to draw somebody’s attention to yourself or just to say hi. Sometimes it is also considered as a poke fight. You poke each other until someone loses by stopping poking.