Verizon Wireless announced today the release of its first 4G LTE hotspot. Available online now and April 21 in stores, the MiFi 4510L 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot is selling for $99.99 after $50 MIR and two-year 4G mobile broadband agreement. (Without, it’ll cost you $270.) Contracts start at $50 per month for 5GB of data.
Of course the publicized speeds of this 3G/4G device — at 5–12 Mbps down and 2–5 Mbps up — won’t really show up unless you’re in one of Verizon’s 39 LTE markets and 60-some airports, though more are coming. (Big Red promises to cover 145+ American cities by the end of the year.) Still, even then, things may not be ideal. The carrier’s 4G network has been suffering some PR problems lately.
Even so, for a lot of consumers, the promise of a Wifi network that stashes in your pocket and does more than crawl can be pretty tempting. The big question that comes up, however, is this — with more smartphones building this feature in (hello? Thunderbolt), do you think a separate hotspot stands a chance in today’s market? Let us know what you think in the comments.
The full press release follows.
[source Verizon press release]
The MiFi® 4510L 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot Available On The Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Network Beginning April 18
BASKING RIDGE, NJ — Verizon Wireless and Novatel Wireless (NASDAQ: NVTL) today announced that the award winning MiFi® 4510L 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot that runs on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Mobile Broadband network is available online today at www.verizonwireless.com. The MiFi 4510L 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot is the next-generation of the Novatel Wireless MiFi Intelligent Mobile Hotspot, building on innovation and design, proven performance and industry-leading user experience.
The MiFi 4510L allows businesses and consumers to create a personal Wi-Fi cloud capable of sharing the high-speed Internet connectivity of the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE and 3G Mobile Broadband with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices simultaneously. The 4G LTE MiFi 4510L includes new features, such as an intuitive status display on the device showing signal strength, battery level, roaming and number of connected devices.
* 4G LTE – customers can expect download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G Mobile Broadband coverage areas
* Backward compatible with the Verizon Wireless 3G network
* Simple one-touch connectivity
* Intuitive eInk® display with status indicators
* Security: WEP/WPA/WPA2 and VPN pass-through support
* Supports Windows, Macintosh and Linux operating systems
* Advanced integrated antenna technology
* Battery: up to 5 hours usage
* WiFi connectivity: 802.11b/g/n
* Dimensions: 3.74”(H) x 2.36”(W) x 0.53”(D)
Pricing and availability:
* The 4G LTE MiFi 4510L is available today online at www.verizonwireless.com and will be in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores on April 21 for $99.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement on a 4G Mobile Broadband plan.
* 4G LTE Mobile Broadband plans begin at $50 monthly access for 5GB. Customers will receive the rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted. Data usage can be tracked by logging on to My Verizon online at www.verizonwireless.com/myverizon.
The Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Mobile Broadband network, launched in December 2010, is the fastest, most advanced 4G network in the United States, providing speeds up to 10 times faster than Verizon Wireless’ 3G network. Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE Mobile Broadband network currently reaches one-third of all Americans, with plans to expand the network to the company’s entire 3G coverage area over the next three years.
For more information on the MiFi 4510L 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot or other Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.