Not a PlayStation Plus Member? Then you won’t be enjoying the most recent retro perk to be announced for the PlayStation 3, free for PlayStation Plus subscribers. The SEGA Genesis Collection is coming to the PSN starting March 29th. The package brings a few games on different release dates. Regular PlayStation Network users and Plus subscribers also enjoy unique release dates.
The full list as it appears on PlayStation.Blog:
PlayStation Plus Releases (free)
- Sonic the Hedgehog – Available March 1 – April 5
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 – Available April 5 – May 3
- Streets of Rage 2 – Available May 3 – May 31
- Golden Axe 2 – Available May 31 – July 5
- Comix Zone – Available July 5 – August 2
- Altered Beast – Available August 2 – August 30
Regular PlayStation Store Release ($4.99 each)
- Sonic the Hedgehog – March 29
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 – April 19
- Streets of Rage 2 – May 17
- Golden Axe 2 – June 14
- Comix Zone – July 19
- Altered Beast – August 16
Plus subscribers will be getting $30 worth of content for free. Well, for free if you don’t count the subscription fee. That one checks in at $17.99 a month or $49.99 a year. Over the multiple month span that these games release, it certainly wouldn’t make sense to pick up PlayStation Plus just for this collection.
Sony is, obviously, working to shore up more quality content for their Plus subscribers. As the marketplace continues to add completely new games, the service becomes more and more appealing. These titles and Double Fine’s Stacking mark recent additions that serve to better the network.
It’s worth noting that Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection has all of the titles above included in its roster that stands greater than 40 games. That collection sells, currently, for around $16-17 on both the 360 and PS3.
If you aren’t already a PlayStation Plus subscriber, do benefits and perks like these work to entice you? Or are you waiting for an irresistible deal?