HP may have purchased Palm, and with it the webOS, but they also are keeping the Pre phone name, and introducing the Pre 3.
While many people loved webOS, they weren’t so in love with the hardware of the Pre or Pixi handsets, so we’re a bit puzzled by HP opting to keep the brand name of what amounts to a failed phone, but keeping it they are. The Pre 3 will launch this summer with webOS 2.2 and a screamingly fast 1.4 GHz Snapdragon processor. In other words, this phone should be blazingly fast.
While no one is sure what the iPhone 5 will bring from Apple this summer, it seems doubtful that it will have anywhere near the processor speed of the new Pre 3, although it may go dual-core. 1.4 GHz is going to be difficult for anyone to catch up to.
Here are the full specs of the new phone.
HP Pre 3 Tech Specs
- 3.58-inch multitouch screen with a vibrant, 24-bit color, 480 x 800 resolution display
- Weight: 156 grams (5.5 ounces)
- Dimensions: 111 mm x 64 mm x 16 mm (4.37 inches x 2.52 inches x .63 inches)
- webOS 2.2
- Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8x55 1.4-GHz processor
- Gesture area, which enables simple, intuitive gestures for navigation
- Redesigned vertical slide-out QWERTY keyboard with backlight
- 8 or 16 gigabytes (GB) of internal storage
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n with WPA, WPA2, WEP, 802.1X authentication
- Wi-Fi router functionality for up to five devices using HP mobile hotspot
- Integrated GPS (and A-GPS)
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
- Rear-facing autofocus 5 megapixel camera with LED flash, HD camcorder (capable up to 720p video recording)
- Front-facing VGA fixed-focus camera for live video calling
- Proximity sensor, light sensor, accelerometer and compass
- USB mass storage mode to transfer media and other files quickly between desktop and device
What say you? Interested in the Pre 3?