Telltale Games, the studio behind the likes of The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us and Tales from the Borderlands, has announced a really crazy collaboration project with Mojang. They’re making Minecraft: Story Mode.
This is a completely separate, episodic, narrative-driven Minecraft game. It will involve player choice. Whether or not it will be an adventure game like what Telltale normally makes or a sandbox adventure similar to the current Minecraft remains to be seen.
Mojang provided some quick details on their own post for the news.
- Minecraft: Story mode will be a narrative-driven video game created by Telltale Games. It will be about Minecraft.
- Mojang is collaborating with Telltale and members of the community to make Minecraft: Story Mode as Minecrafty as possible.
- The first episode will be released some time in 2015, and will be available on Xbox consoles, PlayStation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android-based devices.
- Minecraft: Story Mode will be released episodically, just like The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, or the recent Tales from the Borderlands, which is another developer-collaboration series between Telltale Games and Gearbox Software.
- We’re not intending on creating an “official” story for Steve, or explaining the world of Minecraft in detail. It will be a cool game.
- The Minecraft 2 thing was a joke. No really. It was a joke.
In addition to all this, we’ve got an interactive press release in the form of InfoQuest II. You can check that out here.
So, Minecraft: Story Mode from Telltale? Yeah, I never saw this coming. What do you think?