Last week a jury officially reached a verdict in the latest trial between Apple and Samsung. The jury ultimately decided that both firms infringed on some patents, but that Samsung owed Apple $119.6 million. It also awarded $158,400 to Samsung. Now, according to a report from Bloomberg, Samsung is going to continue fighting against the ruling.
Bloomberg said Samsung is ready to take the suit to an appeals court if the judge doesn’t revise a likely request to change the jury’s award from $119.6 million to $0. In Samsung’s defense, the company also probably believes the amount is rather trivial, since it’s about 6 percent of what Apple was originally asking for in damages.
“Of course we’re pleased that the jury awarded Apple 6 percent of what they were asking for,” Samsung lawyer John Quinn told Bloomberg. “But even that can’t stand, because Apple kept out all the real world evidence and didn’t produce anything to substitute for it, so you have a verdict that’s unsupported by evidence -– and that’s just one of its problems.”
Apparently that’s just how Samsung does business.
In a recent Vanity Fair profile, we learned that Samsung often uses lawsuits as its defense, and it often tries to take, and keep, competitors in court while it goes about business as usual. If you thought the battle between Apple and Samsung was over as of last Friday, think again.