Throughout the entire month of October, Sony will be releasing a ton of exclusive PlayStation 3 content onto the PlayStation Network. As such, the company has elected to make an event out of their offerings and give gamers a reason to drop a fair pile of cash during one of the most jam-packed holiday seasons the industry has seen in years.
“Only On PSN,” as Sony’s calling it, features eight different pieces of content. On the PlayStation.Blog, Sony was kind enough to breakdown each title by release date and then offer up a brief description. You can see all of the games in action by watching the trailer above, but here’s the written rundown.
- Eufloria – An addictive ambient game of space exploration and conquest, plant growth and bio-mechanical evolution. Explore a beautifully realized universe rendered in a style that is unique and compelling. Conquer asteroids in deep space and use their resources to literally grow and nurture semi-organic plants and creatures to do your bidding.
- Rochard – A fun and original space adventure game that features a resourceful hero, ominous villains, rugged machinery, big explosions, even bigger stunts and sharp one-liners. The game tests players’ coordination and wits as they use gravity to their advantage, changing it at will to solve environmental puzzles and advance through each level.
- Sideway: New York – Help defeat Spray, a sinister tagger who wants to dominate both Sideway and the real world in this unique sidescroller that offers you the chance to leave your mark on the city.
- Sodium Collection – A more than $35 value available for $9.99, this PlayStation Home value pack includes the SodiumOne Pilot’s Jacket, which unlocks the full 50-level tank combat Salt Shooter game, and weapon upgrades for your SodiumOne tank. Also included is a variety of upgrades for Sodium 2: Project Velocity, a high-speed, free-to-play, futuristic multiplayer racing game exclusive to PlayStation Home, and the wildly-popular Blaster’s Paradise personal space, which hosts a tabletop version of Salt Shooter. Buy from the PlayStation Store and play in PlayStation Home.
- Okabu – An action-puzzler, where players will guide Kumulo, Nimbe and four cloud-flying heroes as they battle to save their people and their world from the industrialized threat of the Doza. Dive into a hyper-tactile toybox world filled with a huge number of puzzles, playthings, adorable creatures and devious machines spread across an epic co-op campaign.
- RocketBirds: Hardboiled Chicken – Annihilate an evil penguin regime in this cinematic platform adventure game offering full solo and co-op campaigns with stereoscopic 3D support. Destroy enemies with a slew of weapons and illuminate the secrets to his past while uncovering the real enemies of Albatropolis.
- inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood – Vampires swarm New Marais, and revered superhero Cole MacGrath has been bitten. To save his soul and city, he has just one night to find and kill the head vampire. Featuring hours of new gameplay, themed environment settings and new characters/enemies, Festival of Blood explores the darker side of the inFAMOUS universe.
- PixelJunk Sidescroller – Q-Games goes old-school with a completely retro side-scrolling shooter that reinvents the genre from the ground up while maintaining that nostalgic feeling. Dodge flurries of alien bullets and strategically upgrade weapons while battling through sweeping stages full of hazardous fluid and endless shooting mayhem.
While all of the content looks strong, I’ve got my eyes on both PixelJunk Sidescroller and Okabu. The PixelJunk line is always stunning, so this purchase is a no-brainer; however, Okabu looks exactly like the kind of unique gaming I really enjoy.
If you spend $60 on the content listed above during the month of October, Sony will give you $10 in November. That’s a lot of scratch to spend for a $10 bonus, but consider you’ll be getting a lot of strong games for the cost of a standard retail release and the load is lessened.
Moreover, if you’re a PlayStation Plus subscriber and you buy each game within a week of its launch, you’ll save %20.
Will you be taking advantage of this program?